Monday, September 21, 2020


As it grows closer to the Holiday Season, I wanted to share this poem of the Life of Christ with you all.   You are welcome to copy and share it with family.  I can also email you a copy if you contact me at teresaiveslilly@yahoo.com   


This is a poem that my Grandfather used to tell us as we were growing up.

It may sound somewhat like a famous old song, but it is my Grandfather’s own personal version of the Life of Christ.

Please feel free to share this with family and friends. Please honor our copyright and only pass it on for free. 

 

The Old, Old Story Told by Shirley Sparks

 

Tell me the old, old story, of unseen things above, 

of Jesus and His glory, of Jesus and His love. 

Tell me the story often, if you would truly be, 

in any kind of trouble, a comforter to me. 

 

Tell me the story often, in earnest tones so grave; 

remember I’m the sinner, whom Jesus came to save. 

You ask me for this story, nothing else will do, 

indeed, I cannot wonder, it always seems so new. 

 

I often wish that someone would tell me it each day; 

I never would get tired, of what they had to say. 

But I am wasting moments, oh how shall I begin, 

to tell the old, old story, how Jesus saves from sin? 

 

Once in a pleasant garden, God placed a happy pair, 

and all within was peaceful, and all around was fair. 

But oh, they disobeyed Him, the one thing He denied, 

they longed for, took and tasted, they ate it and they died. 

 

Yet in His love and pity, the Lord at once declared, 

that man though lost in ruin, could after all be spared. 

For one of Eve’s descendants, not sinful like the rest, 

should spoil the world for Satan and man be saved and blessed. 

 

Hundreds of years were over, Adam and Eve had died, 

the following generation, and many more besides. 

At last some shepherds watching, beside their flocks by night, 

were startled in the dark, by a strange and heavenly light. 

 

And was it true this story? They went at once to see, 

and found Him in a manger, and knew that it was He. 

He whom the Father promised, so many ages past, 

had come to save poor sinners, yes, He had come at last. 

 

His life on Earth was worthy; He was a working man, 

who knows a poor man’s troubles, as well as Jesus can? 

His every thought was kindness; His every deed was love, 

in every act He showed it, to man and God above. 

 

He was a man of sorrow and when He gave relief, 

He gave it like a brother, acquainted with the grief. 

Such was the man Christ Jesus, God in the form of man, 

but hush the tale grows sad, I’ll tell it if I can. 

 

The gentle Holy Jesus, without a spot or stain, 

by cruel hands was taken, was crucified and slain. 

But when He left his children, he promised them to send, 

a comforter to teach them, and guide them to the end. 

 

The same Holy Spirit, is with us to this day, 

and ready now to teach us, the new and living way. 

So, come dear friends and people, accept Him while you may, 

for soon the time is coming, that you must pass away. 

 

This is the old, old story, and every word is true,

twas meant for every sinner, including me and you. 

The reason I’m so certain, it was us that He did mean, 

I found this precious promise made in John 3:16 

        For God so loved the world that He gave His only Begotten Son 

That who so ever believeth in Him shall not perish but have Everlasting Life. 

 

How to Know Jesus Christ Personally! 

1) Realize We Each Have A Problem: All of us have the same basic problem in our lives. The Bible identifies that problem as ‘sin’. “For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” Romans 3:23 Sin stains the soul, scars the spirit, and separates from God. 

2) Recognize Jesus Is the Only Solution to Our Problem: None of us are capable of solving the sin problem in our own life. Because we all have the same sin problem, we cannot solve one another’s problem. The only solution for this problem would be to have someone who was sinless to solve it on our behalf. This is where Jesus provides the solution. He was sinless. He willingly took our place on the cross and paid the price for our sin problem to be solved. “But God demonstrates His love to us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8 

3) Receive Jesus Personally as Our Savior and Lord: Salvation, God’s solution to our sin problem, is a gift that is offered to every person. However, unless a gift is received, it just remains a gift offered. “The wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ our Lord.” Romans 6:23 

Receiving Jesus Christ personally involves asking Him to come into one’s life to be their Lord. “For whoever will call upon the name of the Lord will be saved.” Romans 10:13 

You can ask Jesus Christ into your life to be your Lord right now.

“Lord Jesus, I realize I am a sinner, I recognize you are the solution, and I receive you as my Savior and Lord.” 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment