Wednesday, April 21, 2021

LOVE HISTORY?

 Post by Doris McCraw

writing as Angela Raines

Photo property of the author

This year is the sesquicentennial for the city of Colorado Springs. There are numerous events and goings-on, but if you don't live here being a part of or learning that history would normally be out of the question. To the rescue, Zoom, Internet, and Mobile Apps.

During this past year, I have taken part in numerous history zoom lectures and looked at links provided by various museums and other organizations. In this post, I will be sharing some of them with you.

On the subject of women's suffrage: https://youtu.be/v-ZYylkvrJY

Bloomer Girl Costume: https://youtu.be/7VH76T3VtKg

The one I found fascinating- When the Civil War Came West: https://youtu.be/8T-z9PuBgHc

COS@150: https://www.cspm.org/exhibits/cos150/

History on the go: https://www.cspm.org/articles/a-new-way-to-explore-history-on-the-go/

Photo property of the author

If you are like me, adding the historic details helps me bring my story and characters to life. In the novel "The Outlaw's Letter" I used events and knowledge of the land to help me tell the story of Hetty and Grant. Below is a short excerpt:

Pulling up about a hundred yards away from the prison wall, Hetty climbed down from the wagon, walking slowly forward. She took in the wall, built by the inmates she had been told, the three-story stone building where the prisoners were housed. There were men in the yard, their striped clothing marking them as criminals, along with armed guards watching them.

How did Grant survive? Hetty thought. To be confined, having to live by someone else’s schedule. All these thoughts tumbled through Hetty's mind. She wasn't sure she’d ever understand. At the same time, she was thankful Grant had kept that concern for others. Where would she be now if he’d become hardened, jaded with the world, from having spent time behind these walls? What of Maude's husband? How would his time here change him?

Turning away, Hetty returned to the wagon where Maude and Clover waited.

"Thank you," Hetty began, "I know —"

"Don't ya let it bother ya," Maude interrupted. "My husband only a few more months. Moved here ta be close jest in case —" Maude pause, then smiled. "In the meantime I’ ve my memories."

Hetty watched Maude as her eyes became unfocused, a smile on her face. Would she ever have that kind of joy with Grant? For that matter would she ever see him again?

"Maude," Hetty whispered, "I hope you can make even better memories soon."

"If’n you an’ Grant ‘ave half as much feelin’ fer each other as we did, ya'll be mighty lucky."

Hetty couldn't let herself believe that, but given a chance, she would love to try. Instead of words, Hetty grinned. Then realizing how much time had passed she said, “I think we'd better head to the station. As much as I'd love to remain here, I've got things to get done."

Amazon

Doris Gardner-McCraw -
Author, Speaker, Historian-specializing in
Colorado and Women's History
Angela Raines - author: Telling Stories Where Love & History Meet

Post (c) Doris McCraw 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment