Wednesday, July 20, 2016

USGS & RESEARCH

post by Angela Raines

Most of us who write historical fiction want to get it correct. We research. We all have our specialities and favorites. Most who know my non-fiction know I write haiku, add my photos and publish them fice days a week. I also spend a huge amount of time researching, writing and speaking about the women medical school graduates who practiced medicine in Colorado between 1870 and 1900. In fact I just finished a paper on the titled " How Doc Susie and Hollywood created misconceptions which grew into the myth of women doctors in nineteenth century Colorado" using the Virginia Cornell Book "Doc Susie" and the television show "Dr. Quinn" as examples of how our perception of history can be influenced by the media. The fiction writing me spends time reading old newspapers, and other publications from and about the time periods I write about. There is one source however that crosses all areas I write about. I'm speaking of the USGS, the United States Geological Survey.

This website has photos from the early days of photography/government surveys to the present day. To spend time on the site is heaven. For example: It was founded in 1879. It's annual budget is around 1.1 billion and is part of the US Department of the Interior.

You can follow the infestation of pine beetles over the years and read the results. https://www.usgs.gov/news/landsat-watchman-never-sleeps

I spend a lot of time in the photographic library. You can access the images here: http://library.usgs.gov/photo/#/

Here is one from my home state of Illionis.
Illinoian upland drift plain, four miles south of Mississippi River, nine miles southwest of Milan, Illinois.

Illinoian upland drift plain, four miles south of Mississippi River, nine miles southwest of Milan, Illinois. Slight sag in foreground is the head of a drainage line. Edington Township, T. 16 N., R. 3 W. Rock Island County, Illinois. May 27, 1914.


Here is one of Ute Pass, just west of Colorado Springs, Colorado , taken 1873

Ute Pass, from Colorado Springs to South Park. El Paso County, Colorado. 1873.
Ute Pass, from Colorado Springs to South Park. El Paso County, Colorado. 1873.


Soda Springs, on the Fountain qui Bouille, 3 miles above Colorado City. El Paso County, Colorado. 1870.

Soda Springs, on the Fountain qui Bouille, 3 miles above Colorado City. El Paso County, Colorado. 1870.
Looking north along hogback of Niobrara limestone west of Colorado Springs. Gate to Garden of the Gods in left background.
Looking north along hogback of Niobrara limestone west of Colorado Springs. Gate to Garden of the Gods in left background. El Paso County, Colorado.n.d.


As you can see, there are many historic images available from this wonderful site. Since I write about Colorado, these images allow me to see what the landscape and some buildings looked like. It helps me to put myself in the area my characters are walking and riding.

So the next time you want to see what an area used to look like, give the USGS a try.

Angela Raines is the pen name for Doris McCraw. Doris also writes haiku posted five days a week at – http://fivesevenfivepage.blogspot.com and has now passed one thousand haiku and photos posted on this blog. Check out her other work or like her Amazon author page:  http://amzn.to/1I0YoeL

Current Publications Available:

"One Hot Knight" Summer Medieval Anthology
http://amzn.to/29DaO5B

"One Christmas Knight" Medieval Anthology
http://amzn.com/B017Z2BLH6

"Angel of Salvation Valley"
http://amzn.to/1P4JVV8

"A COWBOY CELEBRATION"
http://amzn.to/1GzwJhw

HOME FOR HIS HEART
http://amzn.to/1GJhpSu 


Every step you take should be a prayer.
And if every step you take is a prayer then you will always be walking in a sacred manner. 
Oglala Lakota Holyman.



8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information on the USGS site. I had no idea they had all these historical place iomages. Since I am always interested in old photos, I will need to add it to my "Go to" list of photo sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may not have everything Robyn, but is sure does have a lot. I was turned onto this site by one of the librarians when I was researching the Cripple Creek volcano. I've been using it ever since. Angela/Doris

      Delete
  2. You know how much I enjoy research, Doris, and what you've shared is fascinating. I've bookmarked the site. Thanks!

    What is up with all the posts about author research today? It's an epidemic! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's just great minds,Kathleen, or we like our stories to have that 'elemnt of truth' to them. Hope you enjoy the site and get as much use from it as I do. Angela/Doris

      Delete
  3. Wish I had the time to just look through all these photos. Thanks Doris. Cher'ley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cher'ley,

    The nice thing about USGS, you can access the photo library and look for things by area, photographer, subject. Here's to some fun research when time allows.

    Thanks for stopping by Cher'ley. Angela/Doris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could spend a week looking at this site. Shame on you, Doris, for feeding my addiction. Okay, do it some more. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jacquie, I thought addictions should be shared, especially one like this. Have fun...HAHAHAHA!. All joking aside, I'm so glad to share this great site with others, and the really neat thing, these photos are all free to use for educational purposes. Angela/Doris

      Delete