Wednesday, June 16, 2021

WHY & HOW?

 Post by Doris McCraw

writing as Angela Raines


Why do we blog? How do we get readers to visit our musings and research? These questions have been on my mind for some time. 


I think most of us blog to have our work recognized. We want people to know what we have been doing, what we've been working on, and what excites us. We enjoy the feedback we used to get when people would comment. But like everything else, we have to contend with those who would ruin it for so many others. I'm speaking of the hackers and spammers. 

Blog sites have reverted to previewing comments, and when the administrators are busy, those comments are overlooked.  If you do let comments appear without vetting them, you get some pretty ugly or useless pieces in those comments. Then the administrators have to go in and delete those inappropriate posts. I've wondered about solutions, for I don't like to highlight a problem without offering solutions, but this one has me stumped.

Additionally, with so many blogs out there, the competition is pretty fierce. Yet, those who love what we share and write deserve to hear from us. I confess it is for them that I continue to offer my research, my thoughts, and my writing. Even when readers of blogs drop off during holidays and summer, it is for the special people, the readers, that I write.

So may everyone enjoy what the year continues to offer and I look forward to what others have to share.

On a more exciting note, my bookversary for the first novella I had published is fast approaching. That story piece has led to a most enjoyable ride, that is still happening, just a bit slower than expected with life's interruptions.


 An excerpt:

      Clara hummed as she put the finishing touches on the venison roast. In the two years

since arriving in Agate Gulch she prepared an annual special meal for friends. The past year was

especially wonderful. Even the gingham curtains on the restaurant windows smiled with her

tune. She felt she could finally put Henrietta 'Ettie' Heath to rest. Clara Cross was her life now.

Oliver was in the past and would stay there.

     Sensing someone behind her, as she turned her friend Sally was standing in the door.

     “You know you should sing in the church choir,” said Sally.

     “Oh I couldn't sing in public. The idea of all those people looking at me and judging, I

couldn't stand it,” replied Clara with a shudder.

     Sally's millinery shop was next to the restaurant. They both lived in homes behind their

businesses. During the past winter, she and Sally developed a strong friendship. Still, how

could Sally, who was petite and pretty, understand Clara's fear of being laughed at. Music was

her special place and any criticism would destroy that. Something most people didn't understand.

     “Clara, they would love you. Just as they love your cooking and your kind heart.”


Until next time, happy reading, writing, and have a wonderful rest of the summer.


Doris Gardner-McCraw -

Author, Speaker, Historian-specializing in
Colorado and Women's History

Author of the "Agate Gulch" novellas and
the "Kiowa Wells" novels.

Angela Raines - author: Telling Stories Where Love & History Meet

1 comment:

  1. I love your blogs and books. You are thorough with your research--even if it's just a word or phrase--I know it's correctly used in your work. Your blogs are interesting and often provide just the research I needed. Thank you for your diligence!

    ReplyDelete