Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Writing Immersion?

Post (C) Doris McCraw\

aka Angela Raines

How many of you immerse yourself in your story, your characters, and your setting?  Sometimes I do and sometimes not so much.

I do write about the physical area I live in with my historical westerns. I also will write about areas of research I am involved in.

Yes, I do write non-fiction but there are times when the story I'm telling was inspired by a piece of research. My first story "Josie's Dream" with this group was inspired by the research I was and am still doing on early women doctors in Colorado.


Photo (C) Doris McCraw

My first novella "Home for His Heart" was inspired by my many trips up into Colorado's high country and the history of the people who built towns, ranches, and so much more against the backdrop of storms, fights over land, and finding the place you were meant to be in.

Sometimes music plays a part. If I have to write a fight scene I will almost always play Saint-Saens. Here is a link if you want to hear it.Danse Macbre

Additionally, photographs and paintings also help give a sense of place. Many times I will take photos to remind me of where I have been. When describing an area, the photo helps fill in the details I want to include.

When you read, do you see what the author is describing? Do you hear the music that inspired them? Let me know.

Amazon Author Page

Until Next Time: Stay safe, Stay happy, and Stay healthy. 

Doris

No comments:

Post a Comment