Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Their Stories

Post by Angela Raines

aka Doris McCraw

Photo (C) Doris McCraw

For those who know me, you know how important learning the stories of people who lived so many years ago, is to me. Old newspapers, cemetery headstones, early biographies, and old books are where I spend a lot of time.

In these quiet research times, I can immerse myself in the stories of not only the famous but also the everyday people who went about living their lives, and ultimately in their own way impacted the time we now live in. It is these people who helped the famous achieve their success.


Photo (C) Doris McCraw

In my spare reading time, I enjoy hunting down early biographies such as "Following the Guidon" by Elizabeth Bacon Custer, which I am working through. Any book by Helen (Hunt) Jackson, for the history of Illinois, where I grew up, "The History of Warsaw, Illinois" a town on the Mississippi River.

Each story I read, and each headstone I research allows me to use my imagination to step back in time, to visualize how people lived and thought. The historic newspapers give me a sense of what people thought was important, their sense of humor, and how they celebrated life.

This is what I choose to continue to experience in 2024. What do you plan to experience in the coming year?

Until next time:

Stay Safe & Stay Well

Doris


No comments:

Post a Comment