Wednesday, February 14, 2024

The February Experience & Happy Valentine's Day

Post by Doris McCraw

aka Angela Raines

(C) Doris McCraw

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY - 

In the last post, I wrote about what I wanted to experience in 2024 and the joys of research. In this post, I'm sharing some pieces that caught my interest.

Between bouts of snow, there have been some amazing sunny and warm days. It was nothing to go from 20 to 60 in thirty-six hours. On those warm days, I was out when work would allow. One place nearby is the city cemetery. So many stories waiting to be found and told. One such person I've been digging into was Dr.James B. Gisbon. He'd come to the region suffering from tuberculosis of the kidneys.

The main branch of the local library was getting ready to close for renovations, so I spent as much time in the special collections as possible. It helped that I was doing some additional research on early Leadville, Colorado. The Ladies Relief Society worked actively to aid those unable to pay for health care. This was the group that Dr. Mary Helen Barker Bates was active with. I'd written about Dr. Bates in other articles so this information was exciting.

Dr. Mary Helen Barker Bates
from Wikipedia

Finally, I've been researching Social Media to learn all I can. It helps that I work with and can ask questions of my co-workers who do that as part of their job. It's fascinating but so time-consuming.

Of course, I'm working on my next Christmas Quilt book. The characters are taking me for a fun ride.

What experiences have you been enjoying lately?

If you're interested in history or research I am starting a newsletter focusing on that subject. If you wish to sign up, here is a link to that publication: Thoughts and Tips on History

Until Next Time: Stay Safe, Stay Healthy and Stay Happy

Doris



No comments:

Post a Comment