Wednesday, December 20, 2023

The Story Behind the Story

Post by Doris McCraw

aka Angela Raines


Photo (C) Doris McCraw

For those following along, you know my story "Amos" in the Christmas Quilt Brides series arrives on December 22, 2023. It is a story six years in the making. Although a stand-alone story, the characters appeared in my story "Josie's Dream" which was released in 2017. From that moment on the two main characters in "Amos" have been waiting for the opportunity to have their story told.

But where did the stories originate? Other than my imagination, my biggest influences were the exploration  I've done and continue to do on early Colorado Women Doctors, the works of Helen (Hunt) Jackson, and research on early pioneers on the Eastern Plains of Colorado.

The stories that have been unearthed from investigating the history of these disparate topics have melded together to ignite my imagination. Add to that, the stories of events found in newspapers of the era and area, bring a ring of authenticity to the stories. 


Photo (C) Doris McCraw

Numerous tidbits are waiting in the wings to be brought to life. To me, this is the joy of writing fiction and scholarly non-fiction works. I am trying to honor the words of a friend, "What's the good of all the research you do if you don't share it."

That's what I hope to do, share the lives and adventures of the people, real and fictional, who have crossed my path as I traverse the archives and walk the land they walked.

If you enjoy "Amos", please leave a review, and most importantly, read and review the other stories in this Christmas Quilt series. Each piece of feedback keeps we writers telling the stories to help you through your own lives.




You can pre-order "Amos" now at: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CKP7VG24

Until Next Time Stay Safe & Stay Well

Doris




No comments:

Post a Comment