Wednesday, July 15, 2020

WHY BLOG?

Post by Doris McCraw
writing as Angela Raines

Why Blog?
July is almost over. For most of us, we are more than half-way through the year. I like to take the time to take stock of where I am in my plans and goals.
Perhaps you’ve asked yourselves these same questions. Am I on target in our writing? How about that ‘blessed’ thing called marketing? How does blogging, and the time it takes, fit into all that? Why blog if no one reads or comments on what I’ve taken the time to think, research and write about? I rethink this every year, asking myself the same thing, why blog?
For me the answer is a bit complex. I’ll break it down into three sections. 1. Marketing 2. Research and 3. Name recognition, (the one that’s a bit tricky for me.)
1. Marketing:
If we write stories, be they short, flash or full length, we want people to read them. Even with non-fiction we want the information to get to those who might enjoy what we’ve researched and written.
For someone like me, who writes slow, there can be a long time between the various stories. Added to that, I write in two historical genres: Western and Medieval. I love both equally. You add to that the poetry I occasionally write, along with non-fiction work, and it gets busy. Facebook can only do so much, as well as emails. Plus, how do you expand your readership. To me, blogging is one of those ways.
I realize not everyone will like what I write, despite my desire that they do. At the same time, finding those readers who will like my work, is a challenge. It helps to use all the options at my disposal, and blogging is one of those for me.
Photo property of the author
2. Research:
This is probably the primary reason I blog. I want to share the research I have done with others. History and the people who made it are a compulsion with me. To tell the stories of the people and places from history is something I want to do. I don’t want those pieces from the past to be lost. The nice thing about blogs, especially with the tags, your posts are available via searches almost forever.
For over ten years I’ve researched the story of a Colorado criminal. I told his story at the Pikes Peak Library History Symposium presentation on June 9 of 2018. It is my hope to complete the story of the whole family. A very telling piece of history and the time in which they lived.
The other research that’s important for me to share is the story of the early women doctors in Colorado. While ‘Doc Susie’ is a part of that story, it has been slanted her way for far to long. There were so many others who did as much if not more than she. Between blog posts and articles I've begun to balance that scale. For those who may be interested, the article in Saddlebag Dispatches can be read here: Dr. Quinn, Doc Susie and the Reality of Colorado Women Doctors
The stories of the doctors and so many others need to be preserved for future generations. When you feel like you can’t do something, just take a look at what those who preceded you did. It sometimes helps when put into that perspective.
 3. Name Recognition:
Since I write fiction under a pen name: Angela Raines, it is important I share that information on my posts. When you add my online name, Renawomyn, it gets a bit tricky.
At the same time, my non-fiction work is important. I simply do not want readers of romance to pick up a book with my real name expecting a sweet story and they are reading about juvenile delinquents, early criminals or lynchings. By using pen names I hope to avoid that problem. Of course the reverse could also be true. Can you imagine buying one of my books about the trials and tribulations of early women doctors, and find your reading a story about a medieval woman and the man she loves?
In the end, whether anyone reads or comments on my blog posts, I have things I want to say. Yes, it hurts when no one seems to care, but in the long run, it’s the future I write for. So, here’s to the future and to the readers who want to know what I have to share.
And on a lighter note, the book birthday for my first story is this July. It will be six years old. How time does fly.
Here is a brief excerpt:
He wrapped strong arms around her, pulled her close, bent his head to kiss her forehead. He looked into her eyes, and without warning, put his hand under her chin and raised her lips to his. Clara stiffened at his touch. Then, he was kissing her. Clara put her arms to his shoulders. She relaxed, leaned into his strong chest. Their lips touched, breath slowing until nothing else existed except the two of them. It felt so good to think someone cared, someone loved her… even if it wasn’t really true. 
Sam drew back, his breath deep, as if swimming for the surface of the water. He stared into Clara’s eyes, as though he were trying to see if she had felt what he did. Lightening the moment, he stepped back, but continued to gently hold onto her. “Whoa, if I knew that kissing you... well I’d have done it a lot sooner.” He smiled
Home_For_His_Heart_McCraw_cover
Amazon
Doris Gardner-McCraw -
Author, Speaker, Historian-specializing in Colorado and Women's History
Angela Raines - author: Telling Stories Where Love & History Meet

13 comments:

  1. Nice blog about blogging. I will have to comment more often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so hear you on all three counts, Doris/Angela/Renawomyn . I've asked myself this past year If I should give up blogs. I'm a procrastinator and end up at the 11th hour writing the blog I'd only been thinking about all month. Then, to perhaps only gettwo or three comments, I asked myself if all the time spent on the research/writing/editing and inserting pictures, etc. is worth it. But then I read those comments and nod. Yes. Writers write. And blogs are a great way of getting one's name out there. If they like your blog, they may be inclined to look for more. I've made some wonderful new on-line friends via blogs. And yes, the month is half over so I'd best decide which of a dozen topics I'd like to write about. Perhaps that's why I procrastinate--too many great subjects to narrow down to one. I love your blogs, Doris, and this excerpt is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your kind words, Elizbeth. It does help that I've been blogging for a number of years now and have the proccess streamlined a bit. LOL Doris

      Delete
    2. You are welcome, Elizabeth. I'e been posting for a number of years and have the process down, but there are still starts and stops. LOL Thank you for the encouraging words and look forward to your next post. Doris

      Delete
  3. I hear you on all three points, Doris/Angela/Renawomyn . I've asked myself the same question lately when I don't get as many comments as compared to other blogs I've done. I tell myself people are busy, or miss the post or didn't find my blog interesting <gasp). But...writers write and thus I keep writing because it's important that we, as writers, get the word out so history isn't forgotten. You do a marvelous job with your articles about Colorado women and female doctors and I learn from them and look forward to more. I'm a terrible procrastinator so find myself frantically writing at the 11th hour for my monthly blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear you on all three points, Doris/Angela/Renawomyn . I've asked myself the same question lately when I don't get as many comments as compared to other blogs I've done. I tell myself people are busy, or miss the post or didn't find my blog interesting <gasp). But...writers write and thus I keep writing because it's important that we, as writers, get the word out so history isn't forgotten. You do a marvelous job with your articles about Colorado women and female doctors and I learn from them and look forward to more. I'm a terrible procrastinator so find myself frantically writing at the 11th hour for my monthly blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If this double-posted, my apologies. The first time I commented, I needed Google verification and my post disappeared. Then I tried to remember what I typed and posted and it looked like another glitch. This third time I see a window that says my comment will be visible after approval. Sheesh, I guess I really wanted you to know I read your writing, Doris. BTW, that's a very sweet excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog Doris. You inspire me to get back to blogging! I agree with your points and I hope I can start a new phase in blogging! I need all 3 points to grow my readership as I enter this next phase in my writing career. wish me a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best to you on your journey. While it can be daunting to find a subject, write and follow up, to me it's so worth it. Doris

      Delete