Monday, October 1, 2018

For the Frugal Kitchen - Kitchen Hints - Parsley


I admit, that I am NOT a fan of parsley, but my great-grandmother was. She could eat it like candy. When we'd go out to eat and they'd put parsley on our plates, we'd pass it down to her on the bread plate and she'd eat it all like a side for her dinner. So when I saw the mention of Parsley in an 1890s Ladies Magazine, I couldn't resist. She lived to be 93 and saw my son on his first Mother's Day. It made me so proud and teary to see my son held by his great-great-grandmother. 

So, I hope you'll enjoy this kitchen hint about the use of PARSLEY -

Careful women of modest incomes and gentle tastes should luxuriate in back-yard beds of parsley. A few cents' worth of seed will supply abundantly the need of a whole neighborhood, and save countless pennies to those who otherwise would purchase tiny bunches at the market. But buy the seed of curly parsley, and have no fear when it fails to appear above the ground with lettuce and beans planted the same evening. "After many days: - twentyone, I think - the little leaves will push up and grow rapidly. Then may a plain omelet be transformed into the French "omelette aux herbes" by adding parsley - a tablespoonful, chopped quite fine. Then may broiled steak be dressed with "maitre d'hotel butter," which is simply butter creamed and mixed with a goodly portion of chopped parsley and a few drops of lemon-juice. Then may good soup be made better with parsley-branches boiled in the stock, and parsley-leaves chopped into the tureen. Then may excellent hash be perfected with the piquant flavor lent by this simple herb, and carefully-made drawn butter or brown sauce improved by its pleasant taste. In serving any dish of meat of fish, a border of parsley around the platter's edge will go far in helping to accomplish the daintiness and prettiness which all women of good breeding must desire in their table-service. Late into our frosty weather, the hardy little plant survives its tender mates. In good season to escape the killing frost, a box should be planted full for winter use. If a south window be available, and moderate care be given in watering and in loosening the earth with a large fork, you will be supplied all winter. But, while the garden-crop is plentiful, it is well to gather parsley in large bunches, dry it on tin plates in the warming-oven, then chop fine, discarding stems, and preserve in glass bottles or small tin boxes, for use in winter. While not as desirable for delicate gravies and nice dressings as fresh leaves picked from teh growing plants, it answers well for soups and hashes.


As I read the instruction for drying parsley for the winter, I think about how many times I go to the spice aisle at the grocery store and pick up a bottle. How simple is our modern life when so many things are done for us! 

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit I have never thought of parsley that much. I use it in several dishes but always the dry bottled type which usually ends up getting thrown away due to age! But this has opened my eyes to several uses and have prompted my craving for some of the above! Thank you .

    ReplyDelete