Thursday, August 24, 2017

Buzzards and Roadrunners

Westerns and buzzards. 
We've all seen the western show where someone is missing and what do we see but those big birds soaring in the sky to clue us in someone's in trouble.

While from afar they look majestic, up close~not so much.
Truly, they have the face that only a mother buzzard would love. The birds we see soaring above are actually Turkey Vultures.

I often wondered how they survived before highways and automobiles were invented. I'm sure when the roads and cars came along and roadkill animals littered the lanes, the birds must have truly believed the Lord had given them a long buffet table. 

In fact, buzzards are the cleanup crew of the bird world. With their keen sense of smell and eyesight, they patrol the land and highways for dead animals and make quick work of the roadkill. Despite their scary appearance, they don't kill animals and only feed off the dead.

In literature, the vulture is often used to symbolize death. 


Now, we don't want to end on that note, so we'll go to the roadrunner. The Chaparral bird.

They are widely found in the southwest and are a symbol of good luck. They are a cocky little bird and afraid of little. They feast on lizards, snakes, other birds, and whatever they might find and catch.

They make the most odd clattering and clicking noise.

As you read stories set in the west, picture buzzards soaring in the skies, listen for the clacking noise of the roadrunners, and let your imagination add to your enjoyment. 

~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you for stopping by. I hope you enjoyed the little bits of information about these birds. I live in Texas, and we have both of them in our area. 

I write Sweet historical romance set in the west. You can find my books on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Patricia-PacJac-Carroll/e/B008R9JCN2/

Here's my latest book ~ Ellen's Lesson     She's a blond, blue-eyed beauty. (Well, not exactly.) He's a handsome, prosperous gentleman.(Yeah, not so much.) With their letters at odds, what will Tyler and Ellen do when they meet and discover the truth? It's a mail order bride mess.





Have a blessed day,
Patricia PacJac Carroll

4 comments:

  1. I confess, I am not a fan of birds. Still this brief piece of information was fascinating. Thank you.

    I also love the premise of your latest book. Now to find time to read it. Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patricia! Your book sounds like a lot of fun! I must tell you about my first "live" experience with buzzards. (I say "live" because before this I had only seen them in Warner-Brother cartoons as a child.) We took a family road trip to Texas to visit relatives and see the Alamo and on the way south started see all these majestic birds. Living near a river where I see an occasional eagle, I immediately thought that's what they were. I was so surprised when I found out they were buzzards! My children (now grown) tease me about it to this day whenever I see a large bird overhead.

    ReplyDelete