Thursday, March 23, 2017

Ring Tailed Cat

The Ring Tailed Cat

This is a new animal to me. I found it interesting that it is also called a miner's cat and they were domesticated as mouse catchers by early pioneers and miners. Isn't he a cutie?

  Robertbody at en.wikipedia [CC BY-SA 3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Early pioneers and miners in the Southwest made friends with the Ring Tailed cat to keep the mice problem under control.  Since domestic cats were scarce, this little fellow was worth his weight in mice.

Also known as Miner's cat, ringtail cat and even civet, this pretty little critter is in the raccoon family and not a cat at all. Found throughout the Southwest, they are nocturnal and somewhat smaller than a house cat at 12-17 inches long and around 3 pounds. 

I have always loved animals and think they add fun and humor to stories. Hope you're enjoying my animals of the west serires.
Blessings
Patricia PacJac Carroll


For more information, please contact
email  ………….. patricia@pacjaccarroll.com
Web site………... pacjaccarroll.com

**Sign up for my Newsletter and find out when my new books are releasing:


2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that Patricia. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about them either. Cute aren't they?

    ReplyDelete