Friday, March 24, 2017

Book Review--Unmentionable: The Victorian Lady’s Guide to Sex, Marriage, and Manners


Doing research is part of the job for a historical author. To create a rich story world of a time when no one currently alive experienced firsthand, we have to dig into books or we go cruising on the Internet.  The reference section of the local library might be intimidating, so we rely on the guidance of the reference clerks who are fonts of information.

Or you snap up the recommendation of a friend who was bopping around Amazon and found a gem. This book is one of those treasure troves of facts and figures. And the contents within were more than I expected from the title. Details about sanitation, hygiene, women’s health, beauty products, bathing, courtship, etc. are shared in an easy-to-read and humorous style that feels like you are sharing a pot of tea with the author on a rainy afternoon.



I always do lots of research for each new setting or time frame when I’m plotting a new story. By reading this title, I learned of products that I hadn’t encountered through other sources. My only complaint is the lack of specific dates on invention or availability of certain items. But once I’m armed with a product name or a manufacturer, I can head off on that new research trail.

I highly recommend Unmentionable: The Victorian Lady’s Guide to Sex, Marriage and Manners by Therese O’Neill mainly because I loved receiving my research details in such an enjoyable read.


Linda’s latest release is Baling Wire Promises, a Montana Sky Kindle Worlds novella.

1 comment:

  1. Books like this one are treasures. I'll have to check it out. Doris

    ReplyDelete