Thursday, March 16, 2017

AN AGE WITHOUT PRINCESSES


AN AGE WITHOUT PRINCESSES

I'm currently writing a story that takes place earlier than I've ever written before and something hit me. One of my character's might not do so well...because she's just not the right type.

When I think of the great pioneer women of the late 19th century, I think of women who worked hard right alongside their husbands. They raised families. They grew gardens and prepared meals in situations that leave me tired just thinking about. They didn't waste time, daylight, food, or resources. What they had was seen as a blessing.

So, when so many people are looking for a read that will help them escape the work-a-day life, why choose the pioneer era to read about? When, arguably, it was so much more work than now? Why not write about princesses and castles (I do like the occasional princess story)?

I think it's for a couple of reasons. First, we like the idea that we could be like the heroine. Even if she does more in a day than we normally do in a week, we could do some of the things she does and that empowers us as readers. Secondly, we see how far technology has come and it makes us grateful for what we have. We are so used to modern conveniences that we don't even consider what life would be like without a bathroom, until we read about someone in that situation.

I love writing about strong women and men, because, let's face it, the pioneers had to be. As an author who wants to be truthful about my characters, what a better age to pick from? Literally, an age (or rather a place) without princesses. They wouldn't have lasted long. Every character in a western novel has to have not only inner strength, of will and courage, but also physical strength, to weather the tough times.

I just hope I can find half the courage and strength that they did.

5 comments:

  1. I get tired just thinking about all the pioneer women had to do. We have it so good. You only have to read a pioneer book to realize how fortunate we are. Those women would never have had the time to write a book! She was lucky if she got a mid-day cup of tea! Can you imagine...they had a baby just about every two years and all the laundry was washed by hand, all the cooking from scratch, no freezer or fridge, and no microwave! Those women deserve our respect. I enjoyed the blog, Kari, and it really made me think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Barb! I know I wouldn't last and writing about that life keeps me a little more humble about what I do have. God bless! ~Kari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even camping rough now days cannot compare to what the Pioneer women went through.
    Weather, childbirth without doctors, the bouts with Smallpox, Scarelett Fever, and all the other things that happened to wipe families out. So many children didn't survive long out there. I imagine it ripped out their hearts to lose their children, but they got up and did it all again. That is incredible fortitude!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A thoughtful post, full of insights. Thank you. Doris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a thoughtful post! I think "community" was such a big help to the women who lived then. Community was a life-line of Women helping and supporting other women. Which made it doubly rough to be an orphan or alone.

    ReplyDelete